Thursday, May 25, 2006

Smoking

By Zarina Mamadaliyeva

For many years our government has tried to resolve the problem of smoking. Many steps were taken but without result. It is unpleasant to be near the smokers, to look at them. Also smoking gives to the society a serious health hazard.

Thousands of people have suffered and died from smoking. I was witness to the sad life and death of one young man. Two years ago my neighbor died because of cancer of the lungs. He was only 23 years old. He began to smoke when he was 12 years old by the example of his father and cancer of lungs is a consequence of smoking. Only together can society win the struggle against smoking. Our government must inform the community through TV programs, radio and newspapers about the consequences of smoking. The Ministry of Health protection should conduct an educational campaign. Parents should set a good example for their children and enforcement of the law that prohibits selling tobacco products to teenagers can resolve the problem.

___________________________________________________________________________

By Aigul Saagymbaeva

One of the main problems of our society is smoking. It is also serious hazard for health. Everyday we see that almost every person smokes on the public streets by this action they pollute air and harm the people around them.

Last year my friend who was left by his girl friend began to smoke because of depression He wanted to be with his girl friend but the wish to smoke was stronger. He smokes very often ad now he is alone, only with his cigarettes.

I hope that everyone tried to help people who smoke because it is harmful to health. It kills people. Every family should set a good example for their children. The Ministry of Health should hold an educational campaign to inform people about the danger of smoking. Public officials should prohibit smoking in public places like cafes and punish those who smoke there. People who used to sufferer form dependence on cigarettes could take part in TV shows in which health of problems and the ay out of such situations is discussed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I smoke. I am trying to quit. I am an American. I have an 8 month old son. For 2 years, I smoked the Kazakh version of L&M brand cigarettes in Bishkek (1997-1999)while volunteer teaching at school #13 in Bishkek. I can only hope that the cigs I smoke now will not kill me as fast as the ones I did then. But, I know I am only fooling myself. I need a voice (daily, friendly, pleasantly, happily, encouragingly) HELPING me to change the way I feel about my addiction. The usual, "smoking will kill you," or "smoking is gross" just doesn't seem to help. Even the fact that I know I need to be around for the life of my son seems like a distant future that I will only have to deal with after he reaches a certain age. The fact is that I enjoy it too much. Get in touch and change MY life.

Anonymous said...

You can directly email me at tinmaddog2000@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Dear friends! İ am a MBA student in Turkey and know who is addicted to smoking! İ cant say i didn't smoke! i smoked and it seemed to be cool. but one day i recognized that when a woman smokes she looks like a .... (i hope you have got it)! and İ wanna say that smoking issue in Kyrgyzstan is not as a problem like in Turkey! here İ can see that people especially women smoke very hard ciggarettes and the terrible situation is that they smoke even near children! Of course Government tries to decrease the number of smokers, it is forbidden to smoke in offices and official public places! the price of cigarettes are increasing twice a year! but still smokers, even i can say addicted persons are still smoking!
sincerely yours,
Aisulu Kamchybek